Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Best of Both Worlds





Habari! (Hello, in Swahili)
Ninaitwa Morgan (my name is Morgan)

It appears as though the Chinese government have not approved our visas or entry into their country. I received an email this morning from Larry saying we will be getting 'the best of both worlds.' We have postponed our trip to Beijing until 2010 and will now be traveling to Tanzania this Summer. According to Larry we're 'headed to the cradle of human civilization' (not sure what that means) and we're 'working in some capacity with HIV/AIDS education, English teaching and health ministries' (not sure what that means either.) The details of location and activities are still being determined. So are the dates. I guess ideally, we'd be taking the Tanzania trip the same time we were going to take the China trip. We might only be staying 3 weeks though, instead of 4. I'm just not sure on details right now. 

I guess we just sit and wait some more .... I'm not even sure if I can refund my ticket to Beijing. I didn't buy insurance for it. :(  To be honest, I'm more stressed about this 'adventure' right now than I was Tuesday night when I learned of it. I just REALLY HOPE I'm not out $1200 for my plane ticket. Even though GIEU is covering everything for Africa, I cashed my savings bonds to buy that ticket to China. If I can't get some sort of refund, I don't know what I'm going to do....?

I wonder if we'll get Tanzanian names.... in Swahili, or something... ? Or if we'll be living with the locals? If we can climb Mt. Kilimanjaro? 

I feel horrible about bailing on the Golden Courage kids. I wish there was some way the Chinese government could have understood our plea to help, and that we were coming to China to work WITH the country, not against it. 

More details will be posted as I learn of them. 

Kwaheri! (Goodbye, in Swahili.)
Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment