Friday, July 3, 2009

Overlooking the Forbidden City

This is a view from the top of a pagoda in a park across the street from Beihai. I forgot the name and can't find my ticket right now so I'll have to tell you later. But the park is really cool.

















Apparently, one of emperors was going to either die, be killed or be exiled, and he escaped from Forbidden City without anyone knowing and hung himself on one of the trees. The tree he died on has since died also but has been replaced. Anyway, that's beside the point. We climbed to the top of this landing and could overlook all of Beijing (BREATHTAKING!!!) and on one side of the pagoda, you could see all of the Forbidden City (I can't even describe it.) IT'S HUUUUUUUUUGE. I knew the city was big because it took us like 3 hours to walk through it when we went to T-Square... but to see it from up high... all the gold roofs.... it was crazy. The Forbidden City is so large in size and covers so much land, that you can barely see T-Square right in front of it (which would be the far end if you were looking from where we were today). This picture really doesn't do it justice, but my camera batteries both died before I could get a better shot. So just trust me when I say it's MASSIVE and nearly impossible to imagine. But it was freaking AWESOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment