Friday, June 5, 2009

The Great Wall

Today, as I'm sure you saw on the news, was the TS anniversary. Since Larry was really scared something would happen to us, we went 2 hours outside of the city to visit the Great Wall. IT WAS AMAZING. No words, really, can even describe it. The mountains are HUGE and the wall weaves in and out of all of them. I never realized how high up the wall was in the mountains until we started climbing.


There were two paths we could take - the male path, considered steeper and more challenging, and the female path, which is considered easier to climb and attracts more tourists. Of course, I opted for the challenge. Right off the bat, the climb was steep and no steps - just stone slabs. When I say steep, I'm talking an 75 or 80 degree incline. Almost impossible to climb without pulling yourself up with the handrail. It was insane. Then the slabs would change to steps but the steps would be different size. Some shallow, some deep. And then those would change back into slabs. Along the way were platforms to kind of "rest" at but the best was at the top. I felt as though I could see for miles.

I have so, so many pictures (how many pictures can a person take of the Great Wall?) and some video footage from different heights while climbing.


I brought several shirts to the wall, so I could have pictures in all of them. Here I am with Ellen in our Michigan Kinesiology shirts!








I saw the wall wind around and up through the mountains and it blew my mind to think that it was handmade. You just can't believe it until you see it in person. The scariest part was how HIGH the wall is. I really, really do not like heights. Yesterday when I rode the ski lift back down to the base of that mountain, I was pretty freaked out. But that was NOTHING compared to how high we were today. I mean, if someone bumps you while you're walking up/down by the edge of the wall, you will fall off into the valley and die. It was TERRIFYING. At times I just had to look at the next step in front of me and not look over the edge. But reaching the top was rewarding both mentally and artistically.


Along with bringing several different shirts, I brought along with Terrible Towel!! This towel picture almost got me in big trouble, actually. As I mentioned, it was the 20th anniversary of the protests at TS and security was tight everywhere. Apparently, the towel was mistaken by the guards at the Great Wall to be a protest flag. After being followed by guards for about an hour, I had to show them that it was a towel for an American sports team and wave it over my head before they understood. Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment